Students in SoMAS programs have the opportunity to get to know and work closely with world class faculty, take field courses, and conduct research in a wide range of coastal and oceanic environments. SoMAS offers classes at the Stony Brook and Southampton campuses and students have access to world-class facilities well equipped to support research and education in a wide variety of oceanographic and atmospheric disciplines.
SoMAS offers the following undergraduate degree programs:
- B.S. in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- B.S. in Coastal Environmental Studies
- B.S. in Marine Sciences
- B.S. Marine Vertebrate Biology
- B.A. Environmental Studies
- B.A. in Ecosystems and Human Impact
- B.A. in Environmental Design, Policy, and Planning
- B.A. in Environmental Humanities
- B.A. in Sustainability Studies
Each of these programs offers students the opportunity to learn more about environmental issues and prepare for a wide variety of careers.
The Semester by the Sea program at the Southampton campus provides an immersive experience in marine science and maritime studies for Stony Brook and visiting undergraduates and recent graduates.
SoMAS offers the following graduate degree programs:
- M.A. in Marine Conservation and Policy
- M.S./Ph.D. in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Marine Sciences Track
Atmospheric Sciences Track
For both the M.S. and Ph.D. programs, students must focus their studies to pursue either the Marine Sciences Track or the Atmospheric Sciences Track.
Graduate Certificate Programs are also available.
SoMAS graduate programs prepare students for exciting careers in government, academia, not for profit organizations, and industry.