Ph.D., 2000, University of Miami
Cloud Microphysics and Dynamics, Environmental Remote Sensing, Radar Meteorology and Technology
The clouds and radars research group focuses on the physical understanding of the atmospheric component of the hydrological cycle and the improved representation of cloud and precipitation processes in global, regional and cloud scale numerical models. Our group is also interest in the use of radars in weather and climate research, from severe weather nowcasting to cloud-scale processes.
Synergetic remote sensing observations from both space-based and ground-based sensors and their clever use through the development of new inversion algorithms and adaptive sampling strategies constitute our approach for probing clouds and precipitation in their natural environment. As part of our research we use a wide variety of observational platforms, however, millimeter wavelength radars are our primary observing tool for diagnosing the structure, kinematics and microphysics of clouds and precipitation. For more information visit the Clouds and Radars Research Group web site.
Publications (selected from 2014-2015)
- Lamer, K. and P. Kollias, 2015: Observations of Fair-weather Cumuli over Land: Dynamical Factors Controlling Cloud Size and Cover. Accepted to Geophysical Research Letters
- Stefan Kneifel, Annakaisa von Lerber, Jussi Tiira, Dmitri Moisseev, Pavlos Kollias, and Jussi Leinonen, 2015: Observed Relations between Snowfall Microphysics 1and Triple-frequency Radar Measurements. Accepted, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres
- Jiwen Fan, Yi-Chin Liu, Kuan-Man Xu, Kirk North, Scott Collis, Xiquan Dong, Guang J. Zhang, Qian Chen, Kollias Pavlos, and Steven J. Ghan, 2015: Improving Representation of Convective Transport for Scale-Aware Parameterization – Part I: Convection and Cloud Properties Simulated with Spectral-Bin and Bulk Microphysics. Accepted, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres
- Lamer, K., P. Kollias and L. Nuijens, 2014: Observations of the temporal and vertical variability of shallow oceanic trade cumulus cloudiness in relation to their mass flux and environment. Accepted, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres
- Zermeno, D., C. Zhang, P. Kollias and H. Kalesse, 2015: Shallow Cloud Moistening in MJO and non-MJO Large-Scale Convective Events over the ARM Manus Site. Accepted to J. Atmospheric Sciences.
- Mechem, D., Giangrande, C. Fish, P. Borque, T. Toto and P. Kollias, 2015: Insights from modeling and observational evaluation of a precipitating continental cumulus event observed during the MC3E field campaign. Accepted to the Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Skofronick-Jackson, G., et al., 2014: Global Precipitation Measurement Cold Season Precipitation Experiment (GCPEx): For Measurement Sake Let it Snow. Accepted to the Bull. Amer. Meteo. Soc.
- Maahn, M., U. Lohnert, P. Kollias, R. C. Jackson and G. M. McFarquhar, 2014: Observing Ice Clouds with Doppler Radar Higher Moments. Part 1: Evaluating Ice Cloud Parametrizations. Accepted to the Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
- Zhou, X., P. Kollias and E. Lewis, 2014: Clouds, Precipitation and Marine Boundary Layer Structure during MAGIC. Accepted to the Journal of Climate.
- Battaglia, A. and P. Kollias, 2014: Doppler performance assessment of a space-borne cloud stereo-radar concept for a hurricane system. Accepted to Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
- Battaglia, A. and P. Kollias, 2014: Using ice clouds for mitigating the EarthCARE Doppler radar mispointing. Accepted to IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- Chandra A, C Zhang, P Kollias, S Matrosov, and W Szyrmer. 2014. “Automated rain rate estimates using the Ka-band ARM Zenith Radar (KAZR).” Accepted to Atmospheric Measurement Techniques
- Wood, R., et al., 2014: Clouds, Aerosols, and Precipitation in the Marine Boundary Layer: An ARM Mobile Facility Deployment. Accepted to Bulletin of Amer. Meteor. Soc.
- Illingworth A., et al., 2014: THE EARTHCARE SATELLITE: The next step forward in global measurements of clouds, aerosols, precipitation and radiation. Accepted to Bulletin of Amer. Meteor. Soc.
- Kollias, P., E. E. Clothiaux, T. P. Ackerman, B. A. Albrecht, K. B. Widener, K. P. Moran, E. P. Luke, K. L. Johnson, N. Bharadwaj, J. B. Mead, M. A. Miller, J. Verlinde, R. T. Marchand and G. G. Mace, 2014: Development and Applications of the ARM Millimeter Wavelength Cloud Radar. Chapter, AMS ARM Monograph
- Muhlbauer, A., H. Kalesse and P. Kollias, 2014: Vertical velocities and turbulence in midlatitude anvil cirrus: A comparison between in situ aircraft measurements and ground-based Doppler cloud radar retrievals. DOI: 10.1002/2014GL062279
- Borque, P., P. Kollias and S. Giangrande, 2014: First Light Observations of Tracking Clouds Using Scanning ARM Cloud Radars. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0182.1
- Battaglia, A., Westbrook, C. D., Kneifel, S., Kollias, P., Humpage, N., Löhnert, U., Tyynelä, J., and Petty, G. W. 2014: G band atmospheric radars: new frontiers in cloud physics, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 7, 1527-1546, doi:10.5194/amt-7-1527-2014
- Meunier, V., D. D. Turner and P. Kollias, 2014: On the challenges of tomography retrievals of a 2D water vapor field using ground-based microwave radiometers: An observation system simulation experiment. J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00194.1
- Fang, M., B. Albrecht, V. Ghate and P. Kollias, 2014: Turbulence in Continental Stratocumulus Part II: Eddy Dissipation Rates and Large Eddy Coherent Structures. Boundary-Layer Meteorology March 2014,Volume 150, Issue 3, pp 361-380
- Fang, M., B. Albrecht, V. Ghate and P. Kollias, 2014: Turbulence in Continental Stratocumulus Part I: External Forcing and Turbulence Structures Boundary-Layer Meteorology March 2014,Volume 150, Issue 3, pp 341-360
- Kollias, Pavlos, Simone Tanelli, Alessandro Battaglia, Aleksandra Tatarevic, 2014: Evaluation of EarthCARE Cloud Profiling Radar Doppler Velocity Measurements in Particle Sedimentation Regimes. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 31, 366–386. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-11-00202.1
- Kollias, Pavlos, and Coauthors, 2014: Scanning ARM Cloud Radars. Part II: Data Quality Control and Processing. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 31, 583–598.
- Kollias, Pavlos, Nitin Bharadwaj, Kevin Widener, Ieng Jo, Karen Johnson, 2014: Scanning ARM Cloud Radars. Part I: Operational Sampling Strategies. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 31, 569–582
- Battaglia, A. and P. Kollias, 2014: Impact of Receiver Saturation on Surface Doppler velocity measurements from the EarthCARE Cloud Profiling Radar. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 53, 3, 1205-1212.