Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award
The School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences is pleased to announce the Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award for graduate students. Open to MS students whose research proposal has been approved by their committee and PhD students who have passed their qualifying exam, this award will support research projects.
The Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award reflects Ellen Pikitch, Susan Pikitch, Ruth Pikitch and Allen Zwickler’s commitment to public higher education. All four individuals are the product of public schools and their lives exemplify how public education serves individuals and the nation. Ellen and Susan were the first in their extended family to attend college and they all care deeply about mentoring young people. As a result, they wish to honor the assistance they have received from public education by supporting the research and educational missions of Stony Brook University.
The Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award is intended to recognize outstanding research proposals and to encourage the career advancement of MS and PhD students working under the supervision of the faculty of the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences.
Eligible students are invited to apply for the Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award each Spring. The Spring 2014 award will be $1,000, and the deadline for applications is April 8.
The application should include the following items:
- A letter of intent of no more than three pages which includes a proposal summary, statement of research needs, a review of her/his qualifications and eligibility for the award and a brief statement of the difference this award would make to the recipient
- A one page budget outlining the intended use of award funds
- One or more faculty letters of recommendation
- Approved MS thesis statement or PhD dissertation proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- Record of grades and academic achievement
For more information on the Pikitch Family Endowed Student Research Award, please contact:
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
211 Endeavour Hall
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5000
2014 Natasha Gownaris
2015 Mark Bond
2016 Cecilia O'Leary
2017 Abigail Tyrell
2018 Lis Henderson
2019 John Bohorquez
2020 Evan Ingram